Focus on your Studies
During your time in high school be sure to take the classes that will prepare you for further study - which almost always means that you'll need to take more than just what you need to graduate.
* Talk to your high school counselor; tell him or her that you plan to go to college and that you want to make sure you take the classes you need to make that happen.
* Set up a three-year plan for the courses you'll take each year. You might need to make some adjustments along the way, but working from a plan can help keep you on track.
* Official requirements may change from year to year and vary from one college/university to another. But if you focus on taking the classes that offer you the most academic challenges, you should be ready to go when you graduate.
Think about your Career Goals
When you apply for admission to college, you'll be asked to select a major. In order to make that decision easier, it's important for you to start thinking about what you'd like to do with your life now. Don't stress out about it, but start to think seriously about what subject areas you enjoy - and are good at.
Speak with your high school counselor about resources to help you learn more about possible careers for someone with your interest. Talk to your family and other adults, too, about how they decided what career path was right for them.
Reviewing your Options
* Lots to choose from: Maulana Azad College offers well over 20 undergraduate majors. Take some time to review the university's available majors. Keep in mind your interests and what you're good at (your academic strengths), but also consider what people who work in a given career actually do on a day-to-day basis. Do they sit at a desk? Do they interact with people? Do they spend a lot of time working on a computer? Are they outside a lot? The working conditions for a job can make it sound even better - or make it sound like something you don't think you could stand doing.
* Colleges: Take some time to visit the web pages of the university's undergraduate colleges that seem interesting to you. You may discover that Maulana Azad College has options that are exactly what you're looking for.
Selecting a Major
It can be hard to pick just one major. Many talented students are good at more than one thing. And there are a lot of options out there. Making a selection when you're still in high school often feels uncertain at best.
Talk about your college goals with your parents, guardians, or other adults that you can count on for support. Have an honest conversation with them about what it'll take to reach your goals and ask them to be there for you when you need encouragement.
Do the same thing with your friends. Finding and staying connected with peers who also plan to go to college can help keep you focused on what matters most. Make a commitment to encourage each other along the way and to help each other stay focused on what's important to reach those goals.
What's the best way to make sure you get everything done on time? Start early.
We do our best to publicize deadlines and to help you keep up with the status of your application. But you need to do your part, too. Everything needed to complete your application must be in our office by the deadline. That may seem simple enough, but each year many students discover that items they've sent to us arrived late because they didn't plan as they should.